• Robert Adam’s Decorative Schemes for Headfort House

    Internal decorative schemes for Headfort House by Robert Adam – the house designed by George Semple in 1769. Between 1771 and 1775, Adam was commissioned by the 1st Earl of Bective to design a suite of rooms for the newly completed house.

    B1975.2.805
  • Unbuilt Ireland

    Unbuilt designs and concepts for major schemes and public buildings Illustration shows proposal by James Gandon for west portico and front of the Houses of Parliament in College Green, Dublin.

    B1977.14.5667
  • Vanished Ireland

    Notable buildings and structures that have been demolished or destroyed. Illustrated building is the former Portadown GNR Station.

    slider19
24 March 2013
0 Comment

1862 – Ettington Park, Warwickshire

Architect: John Prichard Belonging to the Shirley family for hundreds of years, in 1858, Evelyn Philip Shirley, “finding the property in much need of repair”, decided to carry out a major rebuilding programme....

Read More →
24 March 2013
0 Comment

1861 – St. Cuthbert’s, Albrighton, Warwickshire

Architect: J.R. Veall From The Building News, May 24, 1861: “This building, the residence of Frederick Walton, Esq., of the Old Hall Works, Wolverhampton, has been lately completed at Albrighton, a village on...

Read More →
23 March 2013
0 Comment

1871 – Preen Manor House, Church Preen, Shropshire

Architect: Richard Norman Shaw North east view published in The Building News, August 11th 1871. A site of a Cluniac monastery -he monastic buildings were demolished in 1850 to make way for a...

Read More →
23 March 2013
0 Comment

1910 – Woolworth’s, Grafton St., Dublin

Architect: O’Callaghan & Webb The first F. W. Woolworth store in Ireland opened in 1914 on Grafton Street in Dublin. Eventually spread over three adjacent commercial units. The southernmost was No.101, a solid...

Read More →
23 March 2013
0 Comment

1879 – Wesley College, St. Stephen’s Green, Dublin

Architect: Alfred G. Jones Wesley College was founded in 1845 on St. Stephen’s Green, Dublin as a Methodist Foundation but welcomes students of all faiths. It was originally proposed that to build a...

Read More →
23 March 2013
0 Comment

1758 – Statue of George II, St. Stephen’s Green, Dublin

Sculptor: John Van Nost the Younger This was the first statue to be erected in St. Stephen’s Green, and was commissioned by Dublin Corporation. The statue depicted King George II in full triumphant...

Read More →
22 March 2013
0 Comment

1880 – Royal Exchange Assurance Co., No. 5 College Green, Dublin

Architect: T.N. Deane & Son Office building in an Elizabethan Tudor style on the corner of College Green and Anglesea Street. Demolished in 1960s.

Read More →
21 March 2013
0 Comment

1901 – Dublin Bread Company, O’Connell St., Dublin

Architect: George F. Beckett A massively overscaled building on Lower O’Connell Street, and a landmark for only 15 years. A popular restaurant at first floor level, withe smoking rooms and recessed balconies on...

Read More →
21 March 2013
0 Comment

1875 – Selected design for Town Hall, West Bromwich, Staffordshire

Architect: Alexander & Henman The Town Hall, situated in the centre of High Street, was built between 1874 and 1875 in brick and stone to an Italian Gothic design of the architects Alexander...

Read More →
Pages:1234567...871Next »